Mushroom is one of my favorite ingredients for a meatless meal. It took me 2 mistakes to make a perfect delicious fried mushroom, and now I finally made one, the secret ingredient was mix flour with water or a flavor liquid (almond milk, silk milk, and others) to give a crispy taste. I purchase portobello mushroom, they are the perfect mushrooms to use when making a meatless burger. I didn’t want a lot of mushrooms left over so the 2 big portobello mushroom that came in the pack worked.
- 1 Portobello Mushroom
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cup or 2 cups Water or flavor liquid
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Oil – I use Canola
- Seasonings – of your choice
- Vegan Mayo
- Dijon Mustard
- Raw Red Onion
- Hot Sauce
- Get your batter station together with two bowls – one for the flour and seasoning – second for the breadcrumbs
- Wash the mushroom and place the mushroom on top of the paper towel to get most of the water off .
- Place flour in the bowl, add different seasonings of your choice and blend the flour and the seasoning together before adding water or any liquid your choice.
- Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- When adding water to the flour you want a nice thick not water down texture so the batter can stay on the mushroom while cooking and not only that have a perfect golden brown color.
- Add 1 1/4 cups or 2 cups of water or liquid of your choice until its smooth with no lumps in the mix.
- I cut the mushroom into flour, it doesn’t matter leave it whole or cut it in sections.
- Place the mushrooms in the flour batter, gently mix them around the batter and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- While the mushrooms is bathing, pour cooking oil in the pan, turn on stove on MED and let it warm up.
- Here is the fun and messy part, tranfering the mushroom from one batter to another without getting your hands messy – I use 2 spoons to tranfer the mushrooms from the flour batter to breadcrumb station and place them on a plate.
- Here comes the magic – tranfering the mushrooms to the frying pan and watch them turn golden brown.
- It don’t take long for them to cook: 5 minutes on both sides – 10 minutes all together
- Place the fried mushrooms on paper towels to soak some of the cooking oil.
- Let it cool down for about 2-3 minutes before servings.